Our Curriculum Policy
This year we are introducing a new approach to delivering the curriculum, adopting the 'Creative Curriculum' approach. This will see us adopting a new theme each term, and using that theme to deliver the full range of subjects in a co-ordinated, fresh and exciting manner. The theme for the Autumn Term is 'Into Frewen Forest': please look at the Creative Curriculum page for more information!
Aims of the curriculum
The curriculum is planned effectively to providing continuity and progression. Our curriculum promotes an enjoyment of learning and a commitment to learning and achieving, through which we aim to:
• Allow pupils access to a broad and balanced curriculum regardless of their learning difficulties.
• Promote self esteem while being sensitive to the learning difficulties of their peers.
• Advance standards in reading, writing and maths.
• Enable children to acquire knowledge and skills in science and ICT.
• Promote spiritual, moral, physical and mental development.
• Develop an awareness of the importance of a healthy lifestyle.
• Develop children’s awareness of arts and culture and to enable their fullest participation.
• Develop the personal and social skills of each child.
• Provide equality of access and the opportunity for all pupils to make progress.
Through the provision of rich and varied activities, we:
• Encourage the best possible progress and the highest attainment for all pupils.
• Enable pupils to make connections across different areas of learning.
• Help pupils to think creatively and solve problems.
• Develop pupils’ capacity to learn and work independently and collaboratively.
• Enable pupils to respond positively to opportunities, challenge and responsibility.
• Enable pupils to acquire and develop a broad range of knowledge, skills and understanding.
Children are taught in mixed year groups depending upon ability, compatibility and learning difficulties.